Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Eddie in Intel Labs - Q&A with Stephen Hawking - James Marsh interview

USA TODAY: Q&A with Stephen Hawking
Intel creates a new tool to help Hawking communicate

Eddie Redmayne spent time in Intel Labs recently to learn about new technology that helps Stephen Hawking
better communicate. (The new system called ACAT created by a team that includes scientist Lama Nachman)
...
New technology from Intel, announced Tuesday, will speed the process by 10 times and simplify it. That has Hawking excited for himself and millions of others with conditions that significantly hinder their ability to communicate.
In his only interview with a North American media outlet, Hawking, 72, talked with USA TODAY about Intel's technology, Pink Floyd and a recently released movie about him,The Theory of Everything...

USA TODAY: How may your work with Intel — and its new communications platform — benefit those who have
MND and quadriplegia?
Hawking: Intel has developed a new communications program called ACAT (Assistive Context Aware Toolkit).
This uses predictive text to speed up writing. It can handle files, mail and Internet, and it can switch windows easily.
It can be operated by a single switch, which can be activated by hand or head movement. In my case, I operate ACAT by a small sensor on my glasses, which detects the movement of my cheek. Communication is very important if one is disabled. Without it, one is powerless.


On the second day of shooting Stephen Hawking visited the set.

USA TODAY: What do you think of The Theory of Everything? Does it capture your life's story?
Hawking: I was apprehensive about the film because it was based on a book by my ex-wife. But I was reassured when I read the script, and even more so when I saw the screening. It was surprisingly honest about our marriage.
I thought Eddie Redmayne's portrayal of me was very good. He spent time with people with ALS, to be authentic.
At times, I almost believed he was me. Those who have seen the movie said it made a big impact.

Eddie Redmayne is shown Intel's new communication technology by engineer Lama Nachman.(Photo: Intel)

..."Absolutely extraordinary," says Redmayne, whom audiences may remember as the earnest movie set assistant
in My Week with Marilyn. "It is the best possible use of technology that professor Hawking uses. These people (pointing to Intel scientists) are among the most interesting I've ever met."
For Redmayne, Hawking was a mythical figure in Cambridge, where the then-Trinity College student would sometimes spot the legendary figure. In researching the life and times of Hawking, the English actor immersed himself in the complex theories that made Hawking world famous in the fields of theoretical physics and cosmology.
"I tried to learn the intricacies and minutiae of his theories, which was overwhelming and intimidating," he says. "But when I met him, his humor and sense of mischief was immediately apparent. He has this lord of misrule quality."


Intel developed the technology with input from Hawking, with whom it has a longstanding relationship.
"Intel has been supporting me for more than 25 years, allowing me to do what I love every day," Hawking said 
in an e-mail to USA TODAY. "The development of this system has the potential to improve the lives of disabled 
people around the world."...
During a 20-minute demo at Intel, Redmayne could barely suppress his enthusiasm for the technology.
"Not only do I get to play an amazing person on film, but I get an education in some really incredible stuff,
right?" he said, smiling.






And lastly an other new video interview about the film
HUFFPOST LIVE: Conversation with James Marsh about 
The Theory of Everything hosted by Ricky Camilleri
Motto: This film is not a biopic, this is the portrait of a marriage.

Stephen Hawking's Ex-Wife Jane Forbade Sex Scenes In 'The Theory Of Everything'
..."We were very interested to explore that with our actors, and we talked about it and were sort of keen to do it,
but it was something, again, when you make a film about living people, you do have to respect certain things they want you to respect, and that was one that we did," Marsh said... (via)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment can be published after moderation